New Coupe-Like SUV to Join Audi Fold
Audi has confirmed plans to expand its SUV lineup with a new sporty and aggressive coupe-like model aimed at competing with rivals like the BMW X6 and Mercedes-Benz GLE Coupe. This new SUV coupe will blend the versatility and cargo space of a standard midsize luxury SUV with the sloping roofline andBOLD styling of a luxury coupe.
The new crossover is expected to be called the Audi Q5 Sportback and be closely based on the brand’s popular Q5 SUV platform. However, the sloped rear roofline and enhanced athletic stance will give the model a very different character from Audi’s more traditional SUV offerings.
Why Coupe SUVs Are Surging in Popularity
Across luxury auto brands, coupe-inspired SUV models are becoming more prevalent and finding strong demand from style-focused buyers looking to stand out:
- Coupe-like design provides more aggressive, performance-oriented aesthetic compared to boxy traditional SUVs
- Sweeping roofline and tapered rear gives unique side profile and muscular stance
- Blends attributes of SUV like cargo capacity and elevated seating position with sleek coupe appearance
- Roomy hatchback practicality remains compared to a traditional 2-door sports coupe
Both mainstream and luxury brands have introduced coupe SUV variants including BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, Audi and more. The new Audi model ensures the brand keeps pace with competitors in this increasingly popular segment catering to design-focused buyers.
Exterior Design and Styling
The defining new element of the Q5 Sportback that distinguishes it next to the traditional Q5 SUV will be its aggressively raked rear roofline sweeping down toward the rear:
- Creates fastback coupe-like silhouette providing sportier, lower visual profile than the standard Q5
- Tapered roofline culminates in rear hatch opening allowing practical cargo access
- Dynamic sloping roof contrasts against upright front and windshield
- Large rear spoiler likely integrated to extend raked design
- Other details like front/rear fascias, side sills expected to gain sporty touches
- Overall footprint in terms of length and wheelbase unchanged from Q5
- Maintains elevated ride height and ground clearance for light off-roading
The controversial coupe-like rear roof sacrifice some rear headroom and cargo space but creates a one-of-a-kind look compared to Audi’s more conservative SUV models.
Interior Design and Features
Inside, the Q5 Sportback carries over the excellent interior design and luxury features found in the regular Q5:
- Same premium cabin materials like leather, aluminum, and soft-touch surfaces
- Identical dashboard design and infotainment system
- Standard heated front seats and premium audio system
- Three-zone automatic climate control
- Full suite of active safety tech like automatic emergency braking
- Latest driver assistance aids such as blind spot monitoring and lane keeping assist
- 10.1-inch central touchscreen display supporting Android Auto and Apple CarPlay
Some functional compromises stem from the tapering roof:
- Rear headroom and cargo capacity slightly reduced
- Smaller rear window creates darker cabin
But the same upscale amenities and Audi Virtual Cockpit digital gauge cluster are present providing a top-notch luxury experience.
Powertrain and Performance Specs
The Q5 Sportback will offer the same engine choices seen in the regular Q5 giving a range of power and fuel economy:
2.0-liter Turbocharged Four-Cylinder
- 261 horsepower and 273 lb-ft torque
- 0-60 mph in 5.9 seconds
- Up to 24 mpg city / 30 mpg highway
3.0-liter Turbocharged V6
- 349 horsepower and 369 lb-ft torque
- 0-60 mph in 5.3 seconds
- Up to 19 mpg city / 26 mpg highway
- Seven-speed dual-clutch (2.0T) or eight-speed automatic (3.0T) transmissions
- Quattro all-wheel drive standard
- Optional sport-tuned adaptive suspension enhances handling and agility
Performance matches Q5 models providing energetic acceleration with the V6 and good fuel economy from the base turbo-four engine.
Competitive Set and Target Buyers
The Q5 Sportback will target style-focused buyers who appreciate performance and upscale design:
- BMW X6
- Mercedes-Benz GLE Coupe
- Porsche Cayenne Coupe
- Young professionals and families seeking sports car-like flair in an SUV form factor
- Prioritizes design over maximum interior room or cargo utility
- Seeks sophisticated but sporty image to stand out from mainstream luxury SUVs
The coupe SUV formula successfully draws customers from traditional sedans and coupes based on its unique styling blending of capabilities. Audi wants to be sure they offer options in this flourishing niche.
Expected Pricing and Availability
The Q5 Sportback will likely hit the market in early 2023 as a 2023 model arriving at dealerships by spring:
- Base pricing around $55,000 – $60,000 before options
- Well-equipped models to reach $65,000 – $70,000
- Represents $5,000 – $10,000 premium over conventional Q5 trims
- Will first debut at major auto shows in 2022 to generate buzz
- Order books will open following auto show premieres
The new model gives Audi fans desiring more expressive styling and exclusivity a sporty option in the brand’s SUV lineup. Expect high demand from early adopters once it launches.
Outlook for the Audi Coupe SUV
Audi appears well-positioned for success with the Q5 Sportback as coupe SUV sales climb:
- Brand known for quality interiors and leading technology should draw customers
- Model arrives at a time of high desirability for coupe-like SUVs
- Familiar powertrains offer proven performance and efficiency
- Sleeker variant of popular Q5 limits risk given known demand for that model
- Offers sporty new entrant in competitive luxury crossover segment
With excellent execution, the Q5 Sportback could open the door to additional coupe-inspired SUV models in the Audi lineup over time as well. This initial concept aligns perfectly with prevailing auto trends making it a likely winner for the brand.
The Q5 Sportback fills an obvious hole in Audi’s portfolio, letting it compete for style-focused buyers considering vehicles like the BMW X6, Mercedes GLE Coupe and Porsche Cayenne Coupe. Expect the model to generate buzz with its aggressively sloped roof contrasting against Audi’s traditionally more subdued designs.
Interior comfort, technology, and performance will remain top-notch based on sharing those attributes with the standard Q5. If Audi’s first SUV coupe model sees demand, don’t be surprised if the treatment gets applied to the larger Q7 and Q8 SUVs next. For now, this sole coupe-like crossover gives the brand a more emotional, passion-inspiring option to complement its classic understated elegance.
Audi’s new Q5 Sportback has been noticed forward of its reveal later this 12 months.
When connected to an SUV, the Sportback title signifies a coupe-like roofline ending in a liftback, as opposed to the extra upright tailgates historically discovered on SUVs.
The first SUV Sportback from Audi was the Q3 Sportback which arrived final 12 months however sadly is not bought within the United States. There’s additionally the E-Tron Sportback which is on sale right here.
The Q5 Sportback hasn’t been confirmed for native sale however there is a good likelihood we see it for the reason that associated Q5 is inbuilt North America, particularly at Audi’s plant in San Jose Chiapa, Mexico. If bought right here, it might go up towards the BMW X4 and Mercedes-Benz GLC Coupe.
2021 Audi Q5
As our spy photographs reveal, the Q5 Sportback options the identical particulars discovered on the up to date Q5 Audi is introducing for 2021.
Expect the inside and powertrains to even be a match between the 2 automobiles. This means a 2.0-liter turbocharged inline-Four with 261 horsepower in the usual Q5 Sportback and certain a 3.0-liter turbocharged V-6 with 349 hp in an SQ5 Sportback. Unfortunately, it would not seem like an RS Q5 is coming, no less than anytime quickly.