2021 Audi E-Tron Receives Price Cut and Improved Range
The 2021 Audi E-Tron has received some nice upgrades including a lower starting price and improved driving range. Audi’s first all-electric SUV aims to compete with alternatives like the Tesla Model X and Jaguar I-Pace. This review looks at the key updates and how the 2021 E-Tron compares to rivals.
Overview of the 2021 Audi E-Tron
The E-Tron is a 5-seat luxury electric SUV loaded with tech and upscale amenities. Key specifications include:
- Dual motor AWD powertrain with up to 402 horsepower
- 0-60 mph in 5.5 seconds with Boost mode
- EPA range increased substantially to 222 miles for 2021
- 800V fast charging capability
- Towing capacity of 4,000 lbs
The 2021 E-Tron provides a premium driving experience with the refined comfort and technology that Audi is known for. The increased range helps ease range anxiety.
Updates for the 2021 Model Year
Along with boosting range over 20% compared to 2020, the 2021 E-Tron also receives some other notable upgrades:
- Base price reduced $9,000 to $66,995
- New lower cost Premium trim level added at $69,995
- Complimentary 3 years of fast charging through Electrify America
- Acoustic pedestrian warning sounds required for EVs
- Amazon Alexa integration added
The lower pricing combined with free fast charging for 3 years make the E-Tron more appealing and affordable. Overall a nice update for 2021.
Exterior Design and Styling
The E-Tron employs Audi’s distinctive design language on an SUV body style. It has assertive lines and aggressive detailing coupled with upscale trim. Key exterior features include:
- Large prominent grille with horizontal slats
- Distinctive LED headlight and taillight designs
- Aluminum roof rails and accents
- Power liftgate with kick sensor activation
- 20” wheels on base trim, larger optional
- Electric virtual exterior mirrors available
While not radically different from a typical Audi SUV, the E-Tron has enough unique touches to stand out from its gas-powered counterparts.
Interior Comfort, Cargo and Technology
The E-Tron interior delivers premium comfort and craftsmanship:
- Leather seating surfaces with contrast stitching
- Three-zone automatic climate control
- Generous legroom even in the rear seats
- Rear cargo capacity of 28 cubic feet
- Available heated/ventilated massaging front seats
- Ambient interior lighting with custom themes
You also get Audi’s slick dual touchscreen MMI infotainment system with navigation plus a full digital instrument cluster. The new natural voice control works very well. Optional tech goodies include a head-up display and surround view camera system.
Electric Powertrain and Driving Dynamics
The E-Tron utilizes dual electric motors – one powering each axle. With variable power output, the specs are:
- Max 402 horsepower and 490 lb-ft torque
- Boost mode temporarily increases output
- 0-60 mph in 5.5 seconds with Boost engaged
- Top speed electronically limited to 124 mph
- Adjustable regen braking levels
The low mounted battery provides a low center of gravity for agile handling. The electric drivetrain delivers smooth, rapid acceleration when you need it. Audi provides different drive modes to range from comfort to dynamic performance.
Battery Capacity, Charging and Range
For 2021 Audi increased the energy capacity of the lithium-ion battery pack:
- New 95 kWh capacity, up from 71 kWh
- 222 miles max range, up from 204 miles
- Fast charging adds up to 80% in 30 minutes
- Home charging with 240V outlet takes around 10 hours
The boost in battery capacity translates directly into the real world range improvement. Fast charging capability is competitively quick.
Pricing and Availability
With the $9,000 price drop for 2021, the E-Tron now starts at $66,995 in Premium form. The mid-level Premium Plus trim starts at $74,800, while the top Prestige model goes for $82,300. All prices exclude the $1,025 destination fee.
The E-Tron is eligible for a $7,500 federal tax credit plus state electric vehicle incentives where available. Demand remains strong given Audi’s reputation and increased range.
Verdict: A Serious Contender Among EV SUVs
The updates for 2021 address two of the most common concerns – price and range – surrounding the E-Tron. This electric SUV provides a compelling blend of upscale luxury and high-tech performance. While Tesla remains the range leader, the boost to 222 miles brings Audi closer to parity. The E-Tron warrants serious consideration among premium electric SUV shoppers.